When a family contacts me for a newborn photography session in my Glasgow photography studio, I like to have a chat on the phone to ask some questions about how they might like to display their images. If they are looking to invest in some wall art how they have decorated they home will play a big part in what kind of wall art to choose. I want to ensure the way I design the newborn session and the end result will complement the colours and interior design of the rooms in which the wall art will hang. That’s why the pre-consultation meeting is so valuable.
One thing new parent’shave often told me is they are about to upgrade and move house or their current home is not their forever home. This is perfectly normal as the family is expanding and more space is needed. However, this doesn’t need to stop you from showcasing the newest chapter in your life as a blossoming family. What better way to make your temporary home feel like your forever home by having pictures of your family on the walls.
I’m giving you 5 tips on what to think about when deciding on how you want your finished images to look:
1. Look for a newborn photographer whose style is simple, classic and uses neutral tones. Bold colours and fancy props may be trendy now but will become dated eventually. Photographs that are simple, natural with neutral colours images will never go out of fashion and will complement any home décor.
2. Think about what your personal style really is. Is your home modern or traditional? If it’s the former then acrylics may be a good option, if traditional then a beautifully mounted frame would work best.
3. Think about where you want to hang your wall art. Hanging a 10 x 8″ frame on a large feature wall is not the best way to present your images. Something more like a 40″ x 30″ would probably be required.
4. You can send me images of the rooms you wish to hang wall art on. Using professional software, I can show you exactly how the images will look, scaled to size on your chosen walls. This is a great tool to visualise exactly what you need
5. And lastly if you really have no idea on what you want or your wall is already decorated with wall art, a fine art album or heirloom print box for your coffee table can display the vast majority of images from your newborn session. Heirloom print boxes are particularly good as you have the option to framed the mounted prints at a later date. My top package contains a trio wall art collection, mounted prints along with a full gallery of digital files.
Whatever you decide don’t let not being in your forever home stop you from displaying this incredibly important chapter in your life. Newborn wall art is more than just photographs, it’s your memories and these will be with you whatever home you live in.
I always like to tag other photographers I admire on my blog, so you should check out Amanda Haddow Photography. Amanda makes Timeless Maternity. Newborn. Baby. Children. Family Photography in Victoria BC and she sells beautiful products to her clients.
If you’d like me to make some amazing newborn portraits of your baby then you can contact me on 07581 561646, or here, or email me at [email protected], sign up for my newsletter and receive 20% off your first sitting fee.
Dawn Martin Photography is a Scottish newborn and family photographer proudly serving Glasgow, and South Lanarkshire. Dawn creates beautiful portraits of your children, as newborn babies and as they grow into little people.