Apparently, more than half of photographers suffer from burn out and quit within the first two years of opening their business. If you are like me then you’ll have found it difficult finding a happy work/life balance, (actually, my partner is calling me to ask when I’m going to join him downstairs for the rest of the evening as I write this)
Running a successful photography business and having a happy home life should go hand in hand, it’s all about balance, there shouldn’t be any need to compromise on for the other. However, as many of you will know, it’s not always like that when you run your own business.
I’ve discovered some tips on how to add some balance to my life as I continue to grow my photography business:
- I turn my phone off after 7 pm each night.
- At the end of each workday, I create a list of things to do for the following day. This gets everything out of my head and I feel much more relaxed knowing I am organised for the following day.
- I take a break every 40 minutes when I’m editing. Taking a walk or making a cup of tea refreshes me.
- I create structure each week, for example, I do my books every Monday, write blog posts on Tuesdays and Thursdays, work on the website on a Wednesday, edit photos on a Friday, and book client photo sessions on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
- And finally, I like to work on photography projects that are just for me and not connected to my business. I think it keeps the joy of photography alive for me.
And on that final note, I’m off to join Sam on the sofa for a bit of relaxation.
Julie Grant is someone who I think is a children’s and family photographer, based in Loughborough, Leicestershire. Julie creates the most amazing outdoor lifestyle photography and she manages to strike a happy work/lifestyle balance, check her blog out.
If you would like to book a fine art photography session with me, or if you would like more information, please visit my website at https://www.dawnmartinphotography.com/contact-glasgow-photographer/ or email me at [email protected] or call me on 07581 561646.